Thursday, August 25, 2016

A new Gauge

My main pressure gauge was weeping the tiniest hint of steam that would condense on the inside of the glass. I bet you ask, well wait - what if it broke completely?? There is an isolation valve between the gauge and the boiler in case of gauge breakage. And I already have two gauges - so I could carry on safely with just the one. I love redundancy in Nyitra's steam plant.

This is my new pressure gauge. It's high temp, shock resistance and quite accurate: +/- 0.5% @ Middle of the Scale and +/- 1% along the full scale. 200 is the boiler's MAWP (Max Allowable Working Pressure) under steam. I plan to operate somewhere between 100 and 200PSI. But I imagine as low as 30-50PSI Nyitra will be able to start moving under power. The Toledo as a twin can't stall as easily as a 1 cylinder steam engine and it has a lot of torque. (Estimated 10 times the torque of an equivalent diesel with the same horse power.) And it has power virtually at a every crank angle.

-AKJ

No comments:

Post a Comment